Los Angeles Judgment Modification Lawyerget your free case evaluation
In this fast-paced world, life’s circumstances tend to change significantly after a divorce and require a modification of your divorce judgment. There are several reasons a modification of child custody, support, visitation, or an alimony order may need to be changed. If you find yourself in need of such a modification, the dedicated and highly experienced Los Angeles judgment modification attorneys at Fernandez & Karney can help. We offer comprehensive legal services, including the modification of family law orders.
At Fernandez & Karney, our Los Angeles judgment modification attorneys are:
- Caring, compassionate, and determined to meet your expectations
- Successful in family law negotiations and trial litigation
- Recognized and certified as Certified Family Law Specialists in the legal community
Reach out to Fernandez & Karney in Los Angeles today to discuss modifying your divorce or another family law judgment. We will gladly offer our opinion as well as advice about your next best legal steps to take in moving towards your goals.
How a Los Angeles Judgment Modification Attorney Can Help
There are specific legal qualifications that must be met before the family court will grant a judgment modification. Trying to meet these criteria on your own can result in a waste of time, resources, and potentially unintended consequences.
At Fernandez & Karney, our Los Angeles family law attorneys want to ensure your modification process goes as smoothly as possible. Before filing any court documents, we will make sure your legal case will meet the court’s legal requirements for a modification.
Our Los Angeles judgment modification lawyers will then:
- Prepare and file your court documents
- Serve and attempt to negotiate with your co-parent or ex-spouse
- Prepare a trial-ready case on your behalf
- Settle or litigate your case before the court, as needed
Throughout your modification, Fernandez & Karney will keep you updated as your case progresses. Meet with one of our judgment modification attorneys and learn more about the modification process in Los Angeles.
Proving a Change in Circumstances
California requires proof of a significant change in circumstances to modify a final court order following a divorce. In a child custody and visitation modification, not only must the moving party prove a significant change in circumstances has occurred but also that any proposed orders are in the best interest of the child.
Modification of Child Custody and Visitation Orders
Modifying a current child custody and visitation order requires the court consider the best interest of the child along with any significant change in circumstances.
The best interest of the child includes, but is not limited to:
- The child’s age
- The child’s health, safety, and well-being
- The child’s emotional relationship with both parents
- The amount of time the child spends with each parent
- Any history of domestic violence or abuse
- Each parent’s ability to provide care for the child
- The child’s living conditions
- Where the child attends school
The court may consider any of the following a significant change in circumstances in a child custody modification:
- A remarriage or cohabitation
- An inability of the primary custodial parent to provide for the child’s needs
- An inability of a parent to provide a safe environment for the child
- A failure to care for a child due to a physical or mental illness
- A child suffering abuse by a parent or someone in their home
- A parent who is a drug or alcohol addict
- A primary custodial parent who frequently moves
A parent who was previously considered unfit may seek a child custody modification after significant improvement in their circumstances.
Modification of Child Support and Alimony Orders
- A significant change in income
- A job loss
- Retirement or inability to work
- A substantial change in child custody
- A considerable change in medical expenses
- Remarriage or cohabitation of an ex-spouse (alimony)
- Failure of a non-disabled ex-spouse to become self-supporting
Generally, parents who seek a custody modification also request child support modifications. This is appropriate where there is a significant change in the amount of time a parent spends with their child or another court-approved issue.
Contact an Experienced Los Angeles Modification of Judgments Attorney Today
For more information on our judgment modification issues, contact Fernandez & Karney for a complimentary consultation. We will listen to your concerns and address your most pressing family law questions.
When you retain Fernandez & Karney, you secure the support of a team of experienced divorce attorneys, forensic accountants, investigators, and highly skilled staff who work diligently to resolve your case. Meet with our Los Angeles judgment modification lawyers in Los Angeles today.