West Los Angeles Child Support Lawyerget your free case evaluation
Child support is only one of the many facets of child custody, parentage, divorce, or other family law matter. However, it can be one of the most contentious. While the child support statutes and legal process can seem overwhelming, the right West Los Angeles child support lawyer can make the calculation go smoother for you, whether you are seeking support for the first time or modifying your existing obligation.
At Fernandez & Karney, our West Los Angeles child support attorneys are:
- Dedicated and determined practitioners of family and child support law
- Experienced in all areas of child support calculations, including self-employment
- Aggressive and focused on our clients and their specific needs
Do not face your California child support case alone. Get professional legal assistance from a West Los Angeles family law attorney from Fernandez & Karney. Reach out to our West Los Angeles office today to schedule a confidential consultation.
Our West Los Angeles Child Support Attorneys Can Help You
At Fernandez & Karney, our West Los Angeles child support attorneys do more than calculate your monthly child support amount. We answer your child support questions and ensure you understand how California’s child support laws apply to you and your circumstances.
Fernandez & Karney can also:
- Work with you throughout the child support initiation or modification process;
- Assess your current case and documents for possible modifications;
- Calculate your adjusted support payments;
- Pursue any unpaid child support on your behalf;
- Determine if there are available deviations or optional add-ons;
- Negotiate a child support agreement with your co-parent when advisable; or
- Litigate your child support issue before the court.
You deserve a thorough child support evaluation and computation. For child support help in West Los Angeles, speak with a skilled West Los Angeles child support lawyer at Fernandez & Karney.
Determining Child Support in West Los Angeles
California law affords every child the right to financial support from both parents, and both parents share an equal responsibility to support their children. Child support is usually paid monthly by the non-custodial parent to the custodial parent (the parent with whom the child primarily resides).
The amount of child support in California is determined by a statewide guideline found in California Family Code 4055. If the parents cannot agree on child support, the court will decide the child support amount based on the guideline calculation.
Child Support Guidelines in West Los Angeles
California’s guideline calculation takes several factors into account when determining the monthly amount of child support that one parent should pay another for the support of a child.
These factors include the following:
- The actual average monthly income of each parent
- The tax filing status of each parent
- The number of children these parents have together
- The actual percentage of time the child spends with each parent
- Court-ordered child support paid for the benefit of children from other relationships
- Health insurance premiums paid by either or both parties
- Mandatory retirement contributions by either or both parties
- Mandatory union dues paid by either or both parties
Child support can be more difficult to calculate when a parent is self-employed, paying a third party to support children from a previous relationship, or paying spousal support. Some circumstances can cause the family court to deviate from the guideline calculation. However, these are extremely limited.
Modification of Child Support in West Los Angeles
Child support can be modified if a parent experiences a material change in circumstances. A material change of circumstances may include a significant change in the other parent’s income, a job loss, or increased visitation with the child.
Contact an Experienced West Los Angeles Child Support Lawyer
If you need help obtaining a child support order, agreement, or modification, do not wait to call an experienced West Los Angeles child support attorney at Fernandez & Karney for assistance. Our attorneys can thoroughly review your child support case and advise you of the next best step to take in pursuing your legal goals.
Fernandez & Karney is a full-service family law firm and can represent you in any accompanying child custody matters along with your child support case. Make your appointment today to discuss Fernandez & Karney can work for you.