When you are looking for a good family law attorney, you may be surprised to find out just how many attorneys claim to practice family law and handle divorces. While it is true many practicing attorneys can handle a divorce, if their specialty is in another field, they may be no better prepared to handle a divorce than you are. Attorneys that practice family law exclusively are the best bet if you want to get the most for your money.
Even within that group of attorneys near you that practice family law, not all will have the experience and expertise needed to handle complex divorce issues. Every divorce is different; each one will come with its own unique problems and struggles. For this reason, to have the best chance at having a competent attorney who can handle any issue that may arise, you might want to look for a Certified Family Law Specialist.
Why does the State Bar certify legal specialists?
- To help the public identify attorneys who have demonstrated proficiency in specialized fields of law
- To encourage the maintenance and improvement of attorney competence in specialized fields of law
Family law is complex and constantly changing –
a Certified Specialist stays current with the law.
What does it mean when an attorney is a Certified Specialist?
A Certified Specialist is more than just an attorney who specializes in a particular area of law. A California attorney who is certified by the State Bar as a Family Law specialist must have:
- Taken and passed a written examination in Family Law
- Demonstrated a high level of experience in Family Law
- Fulfilled ongoing education requirements
- Been favorably evaluated by other attorneys and judges familiar with her or his work
What can a Certified Family Law specialist do for you?
- Make certain marital settlement agreements and pre- or post-nuptial agreements are properly prepared
- Identify tax issues which may affect the distribution of marital property and the payment of child, spousal or family support
- Help you effectively deal with complex legal issues involving community property laws
- Negotiate or mediate the difficult and emotional issues relating to legal separation, dissolution of marriage and child custody
- Protect clients who need restraining orders for domestic violence
- Handle matters relating to modification of child custody, spousal support or child support
- Offer a collaborative process enabling clients to resolve their issues without court intervention
What you do NOW affects your future.
Hire a Family Law Specialist in Los Angeles today! Contact us to learn more.