Los Angeles Restraining Order Attorneyget your free case evaluation
Domestic violence is a serious problem in Los Angeles. It destroys families, scars children, and ruins careers. Speaking out as a victim can be terrifying, as can defending yourself against baseless claims in court.
At Fernandez & Karney, our experienced Los Angeles restraining order attorneys work with victims of domestic violence and their children and those accused under false pretenses. Contact our attorneys today to discuss your situation.
- Compassionate and understanding where sensitive family issues are involved
- Successful and determined to win restraining order hearings
- Skilled in both family and criminal court procedures and laws concerning domestic violence and restraining orders
Do not wait to call Fernandez & Karney. Protect yourself, your children, and your reputation by learning your legal options with the help of a restraining order lawyer.
Let Our Los Angeles Restraining Orders Attorneys Help You
Fernandez & Karney’s restraining order attorneys are solid and confident and will guide you through the restraining order process and judicial system. Our Los Angeles family law lawyers will aggressively advocate for you while relieving you of the legal stress associated with your restraining order.
If you are the victim of domestic violence, Fernandez & Karney will:
- Assist you in obtaining or extending a temporary restraining order
- Ensure your order contains all the restrictions needed to keep you safe
- Motion the court if there is a violation of your restraining order
If a restraining order was wrongfully filed against you, our restraining order attorneys will:
- Allow you to present your side of the story
- Argue your evidence logically and compellingly to the court
- Defend you in any permanent restraining order hearing
At Fernandez & Karney, we will stand beside you throughout your restraining order proceedings and tailor a legal strategy to fit your needs. Reach out to our Los Angeles office today to learn more about restraining orders and their outreaching effects.
What is Los Angeles Domestic Violence Restraining Order?
Domestic violence restraining orders are court orders demanding that the defendant refrains from harming, threatening, or harassing the alleged victim. To get a domestic violence restraining order, no actual physical abuse must be proven. There only needs to be a threat of abuse to the alleged victim or a minor child.
Domestic violence restraining orders are available in cases where the defendant and the alleged victim were at one time or are currently:
- Domestic partners
- Share a child
- Share a household
Any violation of a domestic violence restraining order can result in a criminal misdemeanor charge and up to one year in county jail. There are some instances where a breach can lead to a felony charge and more severe consequences.
What is Considered Contact for a Domestic Violence Restraining Order?
While the terms and conditions of a restraining order may vary, all include provisions that prevent the defendant from having any contact with the alleged victim.
Contact is typically:
- Personal contact
- Phone calls, text messages, and e-mails
- Interaction on social networking sites
- Any type of surveillance
Other Common Conditions in Domestic Violence Restraining Orders
There are several other common conditions included in domestic violence restraining orders. Most also require a defendant:
- Relinquish possession of any firearms
- Pay child support
- Pay spousal support
- Release or return specific property
- Move out of the home
- Attend a 52-week domestic violence class
Restraining orders can affect child custody and visitation.
Can a Domestic Violence Restraining Order Be Dismissed?
Dismissal can largely depend on the language in the restraining order. However, a domestic violence restraining order may be dismissed if the charges of the crime giving rise to the order are dismissed.
A restraining order may also end upon a showing of the following:
- There is a material change in the facts upon which the order was granted
- The law upon which the order was granted has changed
- The ends of justice would be served by termination of the order
For more information about the dismissal of a domestic violence restraining order, contact a Los Angeles restraining order attorney.
Contact an Experienced Los Angeles Restraining Order Attorney
If you would like to discuss obtaining, extending, or terminating a domestic violence restraining order, the experienced Los Angeles restraining order lawyers at Fernandez & Karney can help. We are experienced in all areas of restraining order law and its criminal repercussions.
Call or contact Fernandez & Karney online today to learn more about our approach to restraining orders and retaining representation. You deserve qualified, quality legal counsel.